Living in Florida is a beautiful thing. We are lucky enough to indulge in enjoyable weather, wildlife, and nature all year round. However, living in Florida does come with its risks--most commonly, hurricanes. With Hurricane Irma fast approaching, it is essential you do your part to ensure you sustain the least amount of damage.
Hurricane Irma is a category 5 hurricane, approaching Florida about 145 miles east of San Juan, Puerto Rico. It is expected that Maximum Sustained Wind Speeds will continue to move west at a rate of 185 MPH. According to tracked forecasts, Hurricane Irma will likely hit the Northern Keys, Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties. Higher gusts are expected in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, and more.
As Irma approaches, we all here at MLF want to wish you and your family health and safety throughout this powerful storm. We also want to reassure you that we are here to help.
Along those lines, we pass along these small but important tips, so you can protect yourself, your family, and your home:
- Build an emergency kit for your family.
- Learn whether your property is in a flood-zone, so you can take the correct steps to protect it.
- Identify any hazards in your area, such as levees and dams.
- Be aware of your surroundings, such as various gas stations and stores that are close nearby.
- Cover any and all windows in your home, and consider investing in permanent storm shutters. Tape will not be viable during a hurricane, so perhaps it is best you board up any windows with marine plywood.
- Fasten your roof to the frame structure.
- If there are any trees or shrubs near your home, ensure they are wind-resistant by pruning them.
- Reinforce your garage doors.
- Clear any rain gutters.
- If you are a boat owner, make sure your boat is secure.
- Invest in a generator.
- Tie down any outdoor furniture, and bring anything else inside--including garbage cans.
- If in a high-rise building, take shelter on or below the 10th floor, at least.
- Locate your important documents, such as your insurance policy, and make sure you keep them in a safe and dry place.
- Have our contact information available so you can call us if you are ever in need of assistance.
Additionally, the Florida Small Business Development Center at Florida International University has prepared a video for disaster preparedness. You can watch the video on YouTube by clicking here.
Contact Our Miami Insurance Attorneys Today
We would like to remind you if your home, business, or other property has been damaged as a result of a hurricane, you are not alone. This is when MLF can step in to help you during this undoubtedly difficult time. We are dedicated to assisting you through this difficult process and ensuring that the insurance company properly handles your claim.
Contact a member of our firm today by calling (866) 224-9189.